More than 50 people were killed and 200 wounded when a gunman opened fire on a concert in Las Vegas, police said on Monday, making it the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
“We are looking at in excess of 50 individuals dead and of 200 individuals injured at this point,” Las Vegas Metro Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said after Sunday night’s shooting at a country music concert in the Nevada gambling hub.
Lombardo also told a press conference that the gunman, who was killed after armed police responded to the shooting, had been identified as a local man called Stephen Paddock, 64.
Police also believed that they had located his female companion who had been earlier named as a person of interest.
The gunman, who was a local man, was killed after police “engaged the suspect”, Lombardo told reporters.
Police earlier said that the shooter was taken "down” after officers swarmed over the famous boulevard following reports of multiple shots being fired from the Mandalay Bay casino.
Pictures taken at the scene showed revelers cowering in the street or running in terror, as well what appeared to be several bodies lying prone on the ground.
A local hospital was taking in "several” people with gunshot wounds, University Medical Center spokeswoman Danita Cohen told the local Sun newspaper.
Video footage circulating on social media purportedly of the Mandalay Bay showed a crowd enjoying a country music concert before what sounded like volleys of automatic gunfire halted the performance.
A witness told local TV news station KLAS he saw someone several stories high firing hundreds of shots into a crowd of people.
Police however denied reports of multiple shooters.
"At this time we do not believe there are any more shooters,” the department wrote on Twitter.